Are you entertaining this long weekend? This is your dish!
It was well loved favourite of mine before Mr T arrived in my kitchen. Now that I've converted the recipe to the Thermomix, it's even better.
The quantities below make a double batch as it is a wonderful dish to freeze. Having a serve in the freezer means that inviting friends over at the last minute is never a stress. It's also a prepare-ahead meal (the morning or day before) which gives it another tick on my list for entertaining.
Whilst the chicken is baking in the oven I usually steam some rice and green beans. When served with the famous Thermomix beetroot salad or even my Winter Salad it makes a delicious, healthy dinner.
Serves two meals for 6-8
4 tbs cumin seeds
4 tbs coriander seeds
1 cinnamon quill
1 tsp cloves
2cm piece of fresh ginger - washed
2cm piece of fresh turmeric - washed (use 3tsp dried if unavailable)
6 garlic cloves - peeled
3 onions - peeled and quartered
200ml extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp sugar (optional)
1 tbs harissa paste
2 tbs tomato paste
1.5 tsp smoked paprika
16 chicken thigh fillets/chicken pieces
Rresh, chopped coriander to garnish
Serve with beetroot salad, rocket leaves and feta, steamed rice and green beans, yoghurt and mint leaves
- Place cumin, coriander, cloves and cinnamon stick into TM bowl. Dry roast 4 mins, Varoma, Sp2. MC off. Allow to cool, then grind Sp 8, 6 secs
- Peel lemons with a peeler, add peel, ginger, turmeric, garlic to the bowl and chop Sp6, 10 secs.
- Add onions and chop roughly Sp4, 5 secs.
- Remove pith from lemon and slice flesh into rounds. Add to TM bowl with oil, sugar, paprika, harissa and tomato paste. Combine Reverse Sp2, 10 secs.
- Divide the mixture into two large ziplock bags and place 8 chicken fillets into each bag. Seal and massage the marinade into the chicken. Place one bag in the fridge to marinate and the other in the freezer for another day.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 190' and place chicken and marinade into a large baking dish with pieces nicely arranged. Roast 40-45 minutes until cooked through.
- Meanwhile prepare your sides: Steam rice in TM and add green beans to the Varoma tray in the last 2 minutes of cooking. Toss beans with olive oil, a sqeeze of lemon and two handfuls of slivered almonds (roasted on a tray in the oven).
- To serve, place rice on a platter, arrange chicken pieces on top, pour remaining sauce over the top and garnish with coriander.
- Beetroot salad can also be made ahead of time. To serve, arrange on a rectangular platter with rocket leaves underneath. Top with crumbled feta.
Chicken can be frozen into smaller serves.
For an easy mid-week meal for one or two, steam single serves of chicken (cut into smaller slices with plenty of marinade) in Glad Bake 'nests' . Cook in Varoma dish with some vegetables in the tray whilst the rice is cooking. Steaming will take around 16 minutes.
If in a rush, use pre-ground spices and add with the with the oil and harissa.
You can make your harissa in the Thermomix. You may want to add another tablespoon if you enjoy a bit of kick to your bite.